Our Blog

Top 3 Holiday Hazards for Pets


No loving pet parent would like their Christmas festivities to result in needing to book an appointment with a veterinarian in Swansea. After all, the holiday season is a joyful time that is supposed to be packed with joy and happiness. Sadly, it’s also a time that can be very unsafe for our furry family members. In fact, many of the things that make the holidays merry and bright for us might be dangerous to our furry friends. And if you aren’t careful, your favorite fur baby may find themselves sick, injured, or even worse. 

When it comes to protecting your family pet and ensuring that the holidays are enjoyable for your entire household, an understanding of the potential dangers is vital. Keep reading to learn about a few of the most prevalent pet dangers during this time of year. 



Decorations and Tinsel

Tinsel and ornaments look gorgeous on the Christmas tree. But did you know that your tinsel and tree trims - especially ones made of glass - could be safety hazards? If eaten, the tinsel can easily get tangled up in your pet’s intestines, leading to a potentially life-threatening obstruction that will have to be extracted surgically. And decorations that are swatted off of the Christmas tree and smashed could result in severe wounds. Protect your dog or cat by skipping the tinsel and sticking with ornaments made from plastic instead of glass. 

Holiday Meals

If you are thinking about serving your fur baby a plate of food during your family’s holiday feast, you might need to think again. A couple of your favorite holiday foods and ingredients could very well be poisonous to your furry family member. Don't give your beloved pet any food items or beverages that contain chocolate, alcohol, raisins, grapes, or garlic. Sadly, bones and fat are not safe snacks, either. To keep your pet safe (as well as to avoid an appointment with a veterinarian in Swansea), it is best to maintain their regular diet during the holidays. 

Electric Lighting and Decorations

Christmas lights and decorations that plug into your home's outlets create a joyful Christmas atmosphere. However, they might be hazardous to companion animals. When your family includes a curious kitten or fun-loving puppy who enjoys chewing on things, the cables and flashing lights may prove to be close to impossible to resist. Just one chomp might lead to electric shock or serious injuries in their mouth, so it is always important to ensure that all the wires are out of your pet's reach. 

What To Do When Your Pet Needs a Trusted Veterinarian in Swansea

If your beloved pet needs to be examined by a veterinarian in Swansea in the coming weeks (or at any other time), Best Friends Animal Hospital & Pet Resources will be available to lend a hand. Our loving team provides a comprehensive range of veterinary services and will happily help your fuzzy friend during their time of need. To learn more or if you want to book a visit, be sure to get in touch with us right away.

Stay Informed

When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.